(By Antonio Mulatu)
Social skill is a process by which we acquire social connectedness through learning and making interactions with others. Social skill lasts from birth till death that enable us learning ourselves and the surrounding environment using and learning language, knowledge and seeing other social circumstances.
Importance of social skill
- For well-developed personal, psychological, social and most importantly for the perpetuation of life.
- Play paramount role for peace, happiness and health.
- To live longer or longevity.
- To sustain societal values like love, respect, helping each other….and the like
- To receive love and support from others.
Challenges of positive social skill
- Personality traits like selfishness, shameless, being careless, infidelity, pride, neglect, negative past experiences…..
- Misunderstanding individual differences and degrading the values of others.
In every society great emphasis is given to the existing values in the societies. Meanwhile, respecting individual differences and respecting others values foster the development of unbroken bond of social relationships. Generally, being faithfulness, honest, loving, patience, cooperation, accountability and responsibility are values that have immense meaning in a given society. Thus, respecting and abiding by these values facilitates social skill.